Wow, did June ever just fly right on by. The year is half over! I’m not ready for this yet! Honestly, this month wasn’t the best, but let’s get to it:
- I hiked up Grouse Mountain (my personal Mount Everest, thankyouverymuch) for the first time this season. Let’s not discuss my time, ever. Or the fact that I lost my way and had to bush-whack my way through a swampy, mosquito-ey, overgrown mess to get back to the trail. Let’s blame my time on that, ok? Yes, let’s go with that.
- I had a couple of friends over to my new apartment. I’ve been really resistant to this; I miss my old place something fierce, but I’m slowly getting there. I think a new sectional couch and rug for the living room would help matters immensely.
- Won a gift certificate to a sports clothing sample sale and discovered a great new-to-me brand, Tonic.
- Had a blast brunching and pitch ‘n putting with my dad & the rest of my family for Father’s Day.
The parents, waiting to tee off at the pitch ‘n putt golf course
- Tried dark dining – what a great experience!
- I made a cake from scratch for my sister’s birthday using Joy the Baker’s White Chocolate Rose Cake recipe, and it was a huge hit!
White chocolate strawberry rose cake with real rose petals
- Went on one horribly boring first date and one fun one with a super guy that I unfortunately had no chemistry with.
- Spent half the month unable to hike or do yoga due to my neck & shoulder going out. This is related to my back injury and the type of flare-up that really gets me down because it throws me off my exercise schedule.
How did I do on my June intentions?
- Go live with the custom blog header that Karlyn made for me – YUP! Click through to check out the new look if you haven’t already!
- Participate in Nicole‘s 30 Day Sugar Detox program. – I participated in this, lost about 2 pounds (not as much as I would have liked), finally kicked my daily sugar cravings, but didn’t fully complete the detox. I detailed my experience with it here.
- I WILL NOT BAIL ON MY BOOK CLUB THIS MONTH. I WILL NOT BAIL ON MY BOOK CLUB THIS MONTH. I WILL NOT BAIL ON MY BOOK CLUB THIS MONTH. – I didn’t bail! But book club ended up being cancelled this month because literally everyone else bailed, so let’s call that a wash.
- Celebrate my sister’s birthday this month without breaking my resolve to avoid sugary treats. I can celebrate with her without eating cake. – I made the cake myself, and I totally ate a piece. But I didn’t take any home with me, and I decided a couple weeks into the detox that I still want to enjoy sugar for special occasions, so this was in line with the way I want to eat.
- Complete the Grouse Grind hike up Grouse Mountain this month. – Sure did!
- Finish unpacking the moving boxes in the spare room
- Put artwork up on the walls in my apartment
- Put some money towards paying off my line of credit
- Go paddle-boarding
- See Before Midnight in theatre as a solo date night
- Go to a yoga class at the top of Grouse Mountain. My favourite yoga studio is doing a free class there every Sunday morning for the summer!
- Go on at least a couple more dates that do not involve sitting at a cafe and interviewing each other for the position of boyfriend/girlfriend over a caffeinated beverage. I AM SO SICK OF THE FIRST DATE COFFEE-INTERVIEW.
It’s been a good, rather eventful month. I’m enjoying the pace of 2013 so far. We’re almost halfway through and I want to keep the momentum up.
- Found out one of my closest friends is pregnant with her second. I’m so excited for her.
- Got a pedicure with a fun glittery colour for my vacation.
- Took my mum out to a brunch spot she’s been wanting to try for ages with my family for Mother’s Day
- Took a week and a half vacation from work and went down to Las Vegas to party with 64 other bloggers and knock an item off my life list – I saw Shania Twain perform!
- Hit up Trader Joe’s in Bellingham, WA for some American grocery shopping action on the way home from my trip.
- Attended the rehearsal dinner and wedding of a wonderful friend, Julia
- Enjoyed quite the whirlwind romance that was over before I’d had a chance to absorb what was going on, after months of utter boredom on the love life front. It’s been… interesting!
- Read two more books that I really enjoyed this month: I loved Requiem, which wrapped up the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver and was very pleased with the way it all ended. And I finally picked up Roomby Emma Donoghue after hearing about it for months, and devoured the entire story in one weekend. Definitely worth a read.
How did I do on my May intentions?
- Let loose and enjoy lots of new friend time in Vegas! – Check!
- Related: do not let TOO loose. Have 3 meals of whatever I want; make smart food choices the rest of the time. 3 alcoholic drinks per day. -I didn’t really track it, but I did alright on this front. I only gained 1 pound over my 6 day trip and lost it (plus more) quickly upon returning home.
- Spend no more than $600 in Vegas on things that haven’t already been paid for. – Check!
- Back on track healthwise when I return from Vegas: eliminate sweets from your diet for the rest of May. -I have had a few cookies but have mostly been eating well. Half check?
- Complete a hike longer than my usual 1.5 hour hike before month end. -Oh, so close! It has been pouring rain since I’ve been back almost relentlessly, so I haven’t been out on the trails much. Finally the sunshine returned today so I met this goal two days late!
- My fabulous Vegas roommate Karlyn has made a custom blog header for me, so stay tuned to see that go live this month!
- I’m participating in Nicole‘s 30 Day Sugar Detox program. I’m avoiding all sugar-laden snacks for this month and expecting to make some weight loss progress and some changes to the way I eat.
- I WILL NOT BAIL ON MY BOOK CLUB THIS MONTH. I WILL NOT BAIL ON MY BOOK CLUB THIS MONTH. I WILL NOT BAIL ON MY BOOK CLUB THIS MONTH.
- Celebrate my sister’s birthday this month without breaking my resolve to avoid sugary treats. I can celebrate with her without eating cake.
- Complete the Grouse Grind hike up Grouse Mountain this month. I use this hike as a gauge of my fitness level because it’s technically very difficult and intense, and I have had to turn back without finishing it several times because if I don’t pace myself carefully I become dizzy. I’m hoping to finish in an hour and a half for my first run at it this season.
Wow, what a great month! Summer has arrived in Vancouver, and everyone is running around in shorts & tshirts. It feels like the beginning of something fresh and new, as though the sunshine holds the promise of adventure and happiness. Wouldn’t that be nice?
How did I do on my April intentions?
- One short weeknight hike and one longer weekend hike per week – success!
- Yoga 1 time per week – Nope! It seemed sacreligious to go inside the yoga studio when the weather has been so incredible.
- Sign up for ballet flow yoga – My friend and I tried a trial class and jointly decided it wasn’t worth the fee for the full 8 sessions. We’ve been hiking lots instead.
- Unpack and get the new place feeling like home. – Mostly done! Putting up artwork feels like cheating on my old house. But everything else is unpacked.
- Take Magdalena for a real spin! (I have named the new car Magdalena) – Yup!
- Do a lil’ shopping for this lil’ vacation I have coming up in May – Success! Have most of my outfits planned.
- Let loose and enjoy lots of new friend time in Vegas!
- Related: do not let TOO loose. Have 3 meals of whatever you want; make smart food choices the rest of the time. 3 alcoholic drinks per day (holy crap that sounds like a lot of alcohol to me. That’s 15 drinks in 1 week, for a girl who’s used to 1 or 2!) and drink lots of water.
- Spend no more than $600 in Vegas on things that haven’t already been paid for.
- Back on track healthwise when you return from Vegas: eliminate sweets from your diet for the rest of May.
- Complete a hike longer than my usual 1.5 hour hike before month end.
Blink and you’ll miss it, right? That was March. It seems to have passed in a blur. Here’s the scoop this month:
- I bought myself a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback, a car I’ve been dreaming about for five years. And knocked that one off my bucket list. I did the whole purchase alone… yup, this means the whole haggling game with the salesmen. It was intimidating.
- Attended a good friend’s southern-themed bachelorette party and participated in a hella fun scavenger hunt, chauffeured by limousine.
- Enjoyed the baby shower for one of my oldest friend who’s about to have her first baby any minute now. And by oldest, I mean the girl I’ve been friends with the longest, not the actual oldest age of any of my friends. Geez, wouldn’t out a new mama like that!!
- Discovered a new favourite music group: Of Monsters and Men. They’re a great indie folk/pop band from Iceland, you should give them a listen!
- Spent two weeks packing and kept the stress & panic about it to a minimum.
- Said farewell to my roommate and began solo living for the first time in a few years.
- Got the keys to my new place!
How did I do on my March intentions?
- Get movers booked. -Success!
- Green smoothie habit. -Turns out that it’s far more important to execute Mission: Eat What’s Already In Your House than it is to start a green smoothie habit during the month that you’re moving. Not one green smoothie was consumed. Not even a Happy Planet one. FAIL!
- Yoga 2-3 times a week, although I will let myself off the hook for this one in the last week of March because I think packing will rule my life at that point. -I averaged 1.5 classes/week. Not terrible considering the amount of time spent on packing.
- DO NOT ACTIVELY LOOK AT CARS FOR SALE. -Whoa, HUGE FAIL! Totally bought a new car!
- Have my friend Niki over for dinner. -Seriously, what was I thinking? Entertain guests in the middle of frantic car shopping which fell in the middle of moving month? HAHAHAHAHAA. Ha. No.
- Enjoy this month’s bachelorette and baby shower festivities, celebrate my friends with frugal gifts and an open heart, and get excited to meet the new little baby that’s coming in the next month! -Yup! And friend baby #1 has made her debut into the world. Still on Babywatch High Alert for baby #2.
- Move into my new place! -Success!
- Hiking season has begun. I’m shooting for one short weeknight hike and one longer weekend hike per week.
- Yoga 1 time per week
- Sign up for ballet flow yoga with my friend Ashley
- Unpack and get the new place feeling like home.
- Take Magdalena for a real spin! I’ve been too busy to do so yet. (I have named the new car Magdalena)
- Do a lil’ shopping for this lil’ vacation I have coming up in May