I remember looking back over 2012 at the end of the year and having a hard time remembering some of the small but still important things that happened over the course of the year, particularly the earlier months. So I’d like to start doing recaps of what transpired each month so that I’ll have a record of how I’ve spent my time, both the big and small moments. I would also love to set intentions for the coming month. Now that we’re well into February, it’s high time I get this posted!
- While I did not stick to all my Clean January rules all the time, I succeeded in breaking below the 180-lb plateau and reframing the way I think about food. I find myself really thinking of pasta and sweets as treats now rather than everyday fare, and I actually want to keep eating mostly vegetables and healthy stuff for my meals.
- I had a really magical dinner experience: I was invited to have traditional Malaysian-style hotpot dinner, cooked by Malaysian friends, in a floating home at a marina. We couldn’t have been luckier with the weather and we were treated to the most incredible sunset view out the window over the water.
- I had a really wonderful month in my relationship with my mum. I’m quite close with her but we often don’t see eye to eye on many issues and tend to get under each other’s skin. We argue quite a bit, but not this month. I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun with my mum.
- Saw Life of Pi 3D in theatre. What an incredible, beautifully made film. Is this a story you love?
- Went snowshoeing! What a blast. It’s a nice winter alternative to my preferred summer “sport” of hiking.
- Got a small raise and increased my contributions to my TFSA, RRSP, and loan repayment.
- Bought an ankle brace and finally feel secure that I won’t sprain my ankle while hiking.
- No cavities at my last dentist appointment!
- Bought a ticket to Bloggers in Sin City and to see Shania Twain live in concert while I’m there in May. Shania was the driving force behind the decision to attend BiSC… seeing her perform live has been on my bucket list for over a decade and I’m so thrilled this is finally happening!
- Read three books: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker, and Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. My favourite of these was Code Name Verity – review to follow.
- Host an Oscars viewing party
- Book my flight to Vegas in May
- Declutter my bedroom – do a big sweep of my stuff and cull anything that needs to be donated, sold or put in the trash. Get it out of the house.
- Replace my black cardigan and buy some new lingerie
- Get into a green smoothie habit – that is, if I can find any good spinach and kale!
- Do yoga 2-3 times a week
Well, there you have it! Cheers to a happy February.