Happy New Year! And thanks to Amy Estes for this lovely quote: “May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”
2012 was a year of recovery for me. I wouldn’t say I made progress forward so much as undid some of the backsliding of the prior three years, which were painful and awful and had started to seem never-ending. I’m glad that finally, finally, I feel that things have turned around and I’ve experienced some big moments and experiences this year. Some of the more memorable ones:
- A great karaoke birthday party with my closest friends to ring in 32 in February.
- My sister moved out of my apartment, forcing me to either get a new roommate or move, neither of which I wanted to do. But I found a fantastic new roommate and now friend, Kate, who moved into my place in June with her two dogs and reminded me through her friendship that I’m still capable of a wonderful and rewarding experience living with another person (something I’d begun to question after so many failed romantic relationships! And although my relationship with Kate is in no way romantic, it brought back my confidence that some people think I’m pretty fun to have around.)
- I learned that when someone’s words and actions don’t tell you the same thing, you should believe their actions. This led to me breaking up with Mike, which was devastating but necessary. He kept telling me what I wanted to hear but wasn’t treating me well.
- I took a solo trip to Hawaii. I’d been wanting to go on a tropical vacation for years and decided to stop putting it off just because I didn’t have a boyfriend to join me. I tried paddle-boarding for the first time, ate strawberry guavas and kukui nuts straight from the tree and enjoyed the heck out of fresh local pineapple. It was a blast and I hope to return one day.
- I finally found a workout that I love, that really gets my heart rate up and burns some calories, and isn’t a problem for my herniated disc: hiking Vancouver trails! I even lost a little weight this summer after plenty of pounding the trails. I’m trying to replicate it as best I can during the winter with snowshoeing.
- I joined a book club with one of my best friends, and have been reading much more ever since.
- I made a few new friendships that I consider already to be significant and am so happy to grow my social circle to include these lovely new people!
- I stopped working independently in finance and joined the family practice. This has been a much better fit for me doing similar work, and allowed me to finally start making some good strides in my own personal finances.
- I discovered that my right ankle is extremely prone to sprains and have spent 3 of 12 months in 2012 with an inflamed ankle. I will be buying a high quality ankle brace to reduce the recurrence of future sprains, which has a very negative effect on my exercise schedule!
- A friend lost her child to cancer. I was honoured to be able to help her by fundraising and creating an online platform for her to share her story at such a difficult time in her life.
Here’s to great new things in 2013! What was your biggest moment in 2012?